Translate

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cogito, ergo sum!

The modern equivalent might be "I blog, therefore I am virtual." Virtual reality has displaced objective reality for millions of lonely souls (souls in the greater non-religious sense).
The virtual presence will long outlive the physical objective presence. There is no virtual death - just a long stasis of presence that is unchanging but still there to those who happen upon it.
Perhaps we need a type of virtual death (or for those who want to ape reality even more closely, virtual suicide or even virtual murder).
The virtual world is still in its infancy and the thought of death seems so far off.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Des. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I read your New Year's eve encounter and have to say my owl seems pretty tame by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mairi,
    Even at this juncture the experience has an ethereal quality that is almost disturbing. But who knows .....??

    ReplyDelete